Sunday, October 20, 2013

Tis the Season... for Sparkle!

This weekend has been wonderful - I had absolutely NOTHING planned! So yesterday I got to do some stamping and knitting, and today I've already made a cute little Christmas card!


In my search for card challenges yesterday, I came across this fun blog: Tis the Season. The color combo for their second challenge (TTS2) is right up my alley! I actually made a card with a similar color scheme 7 years ago (see below), back when I first started stamping and had very little stamps and supplies! (These stamps were actually Close to My Heart, I think. Before I became an SU! purist. I even used the masking technique - and I had only been stamping for a month! I'm so proud of my early-stamping self.)


In a way, I think it may have been easier to create when I had just a few stamp sets and I really had to think outside the box. My current inventory might look desirable, but honestly I can't even remember what sets I have and I constantly need to pull everything out and browse to find anything. It's kind of ridiculous. I have 7 cubes filled with stamps. SEVEN!! If I ever get the time and energy, I may just need to start selling stuff on ebay just to de-clutter and simplify!


Besides the sickening number of stamps, check out how otherwise adorable my stamping area is!! The rest of the apartment may still need some work, but I finally finished this part. :)


Anyway, back to the color challenge. It's definitely non-traditional, but I love it! I was having trouble deciding on a layout/idea, but then this morning on Pinterest I found this card. It even has the right colors for the challenge! So I totally CASEd it.


I love that I was even able to use the "optional trimming" of glitter! Fun stuff! I think I'll keep up with this blog and maybe it'll help me get my Christmas cards made and sent out on time this year! Hey, there's a first time for everything! ;)



The size of this old ornament punch calls for a wider card if you want to fit 3 across. Because I have the new Envelope Punch Board, I didn't have to worry about finding an envelope to fit an oddly-shaped card: I can just make one! So I used some old Tempting Turquoise DSP. The card front is 3" x 6". I had never really tried the white-on-white look, but it seems so classy, and I like how it turned out! Thanks to the bright gorgeous sun making an appearance today, you can see shadows showing the dimension on my card.



Stamps: Delightful Decorations, Snowfall
Paper: Tempting Turquoise Prints DSP, Whisper White CS
Colors: Tempting Turquoise Marker/Ink, Pear Pizzazz Marker/Ink, Melon Mambo Marker/Ink
Tools: Envelope Punch Board, Paper Piercer & Mat, Essentials Paper-Piercing Pack, Heat Tool, VersaMark Ink Pad, Iridescent Ice Embossing Powder, Ticket Corner Punch, Ornament Punch
Accessories: Stampin' Dimensionals 

italics = retired product

7 comments:

  1. Janet, this is gorgeous! I love the sparkly ornaments and the bright colors against the stark white background looks so elegant! Wonderful job!!

    I hear you on the sets...I have 436 SU sets...I think I need to downsize LOL

    Thanks so much for playing along with us at 'Tis The Season!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OMG! 436?! Yowsers. My family would have hosted an Intervention by now if I had that many!!! Hahaha! (I'm too scared to actually count tho... I also have an entire big box full of unmounted sets that I want to sell that aren't pictured above.)

      Delete
  2. Janet, I love your take on this!!! You've combined the colors beautifully. I love the sparkle. I hear you about the number of sets. I am just impressed that you have a card or a picture of a card you made 8 years ago! Beautiful job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lisa! Yeah I'm kinda OCD... I take a picture of every single thing I create. I'm luckily enough that all my files have escaped various computer crashes and other issues over the years. I could probably set up my blog to post about a different project every day and it would last for at least a year!

      Delete
  3. What a great Christmas card with all the glitter. I love those ornament stamps and punch. I like your layers and the non-traditional card size too. That's what's great about the Envelope Punch Board! I finally got rid of a bunch of my old sets and supplies this summer because I had way too many too! Thanks for playing with us at 'Tis The Season. :)
    Sara

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I LOVE the envelope punch board!! It's so great for using up retired DSP, and I love the non-traditional sized options. I also can't wait to try those cute file folder cards that I've seen everywhere!

      Delete
  4. Gorgeous.. I love the sparkle you added to the Ornaments. You have a great stamping area. Thanks for joining us at 'Tis The Season.

    ReplyDelete